LILONGWE (MalawiTalk) – President Dr Lazarus Chakwera has acknowledged receipt of K2.6 billion from various donors to support the national response with Malawi Red Cross Society donating K1.6 billion from that amount.
“I want to thank some of the entities that have partnered with my administration in this fight by donating resources in response to my call for the same when I declared a state of national disaster 26 days ago,” said President Chakwera his televised address fromKamuzu Palace in Lilongwe on Sunday.
It was his fifth National Address on the War on Covid-19 .
The President said donors comprised both local and international organisations.
- Simama Group of Companies has donated K8 million
- ADMARC has donated K2 million
- First Capital Bank has donated K50 million
- Airtel Malawi has donated K100 million
- Puma has donated K11.2 million
- Malawi Red Cross Society has donated K1.6 billion
- Nyasa Manufacturing Company has donated K25 million
- Standard Bank has donated K112 million
- National Bank has donated K50 million
- Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority has donated K50 million
- Press Trust has donated K90 million
- Sunbird Hotels has donated K7 million
- Illovo has donated K20 million
- Lilongwe Water Board has donated K15.6 million
- Oxfam has donated K22 million
- And an anonymous donor has donated K15.5 million
“This is a total of close to 2.2 billion kwacha that we have received from well-wishers, and the donations continue to come. I am thankful for every one of these supporters who have taken this fight for our lives as their own fight,”said Chakwera.
But the President issued a stern warning against abuse of resources, saying “every kwacha of Covid-19 funds will have to be accounted for.”